Give your wrist a break with the Mac Tools 4V cordless screwdriver
Working in tight spaces can be a real back ache…or the wrist in this case. Honestly, unless you have the finger strength and dexterity of a professional massage therapist, turning a screwdriver in tight spaces just isn’t fun. We got our hands on the Mac Tool 4V cordless screwdriver to see what sets this premium model apart from budget brands.
- Easy to use
- Tool-free quick-change collet
- Bright LED lights
- Expensive compared to other cordless screwdrivers on the market
- Some room for improvement in grip texturing
The controls are about as simple as they come. A simple, thumb-activated forward and reverse button sits directly on top of the tool and controls its constant 300 rpm speed. One subtle touch you might miss is that the forward arrow sticks up and the back arrow sticks up is deepened. It’s a small thing that helps you focus on the fastener without having to look at the switch every time you press it.
The Mac Tools SBD4V features a low-torque motor that produces 8 inch-pounds (0.9 Nm) of torque, so it doesn’t have the torque you might find in something like a drywall screwdriver. When you have reached the torque limit of the screwdriver, you can still operate it forward or reverse manually.
Pro tip: Stick with fasteners smaller than #8 diameter and less than 2 inches, or use a pre-drilled hole when working with longer screws.
This one is perfect for working with delicate materials like molded plastic. In our shop, it’s incredibly useful for removing/installing vehicle trim, hose clamps, installing switch plates, and assembling tools with plastic parts.View Prices on Amazon
Outstanding features of the Mac Tools 4V cordless screwdriver
A few things stand out from most cordless screwdrivers we’ve used in the past.
First is the ergonomics of the design. To make room for a battery, many designs build up the grip and are not very comfortable for small and medium sized hands. Mac Tools’ design is much slimmer, but still a bit thicker than a standard screwdriver.
There is give and take when it comes to grip molding. On the one hand, its sleek design is very comfortable. On the other hand, it can get slippery if your hands are sweaty or greasy.
The second thing is an IP54 rating. In addition to the water and dust resistance that we usually think of when we think of IP ratings, this screwdriver is also able to withstand some of the common solvents you encounter.
- An LED light is located at the base of the handle and alternates between flashing green, amber, red, and red to indicate current battery life.
- Five bright LEDs surround the collet and turn on automatically when the screwdriver is active and stay on for 10 seconds after rotation has stopped.
- The tool-free quick-change collet allows you to quickly swap out any 1/4″ hex bit and holds the bits more securely than a magnet alone.
- The USB-C charging port is located on the back of the tool and charges from 0% to 100% in 70 minutes.
Cordless screwdriver bit sets often seem like an afterthought or a simple added value. However, Mac Tools includes one of the most comprehensive bit sets we’ve seen with their model. We also love that everything fits neatly into a hard plastic case that easily fits in a flat tool drawer. The set includes:
- 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 9/32 inches
- T6, T7, T8, T10, T15, T20, T25, T27, T30, T40, T45
- Security Torx
- security hex
- SAE: 3/32, 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 7/32 inch
- Metric: 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm
- Ball head hexagon:
- SAE: 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 inch
- Metric: 3mm, 4mm, 5mm
- Square: #1, #2, #3
- 1/4″ square drive adapters (1″ and 2″)
- 1/4 inch hex bit holder
You can snag this 52-piece Mac Tools Cordless Screwdriver Kit for $209.99 online or at your local Mac Tools dealer. They back it with a 3-year limited warranty, so remember to register your tool!
The final result
There is no question that this professional cordless screwdriver set is more expensive than other brands that you may have seen. The fact that it can make you more productive, help you work more comfortably, and can thrive in environments that cause early failures on other models are three major reasons to seriously consider the Mac Tools 4V cordless screwdriver.
To learn more about the MAC Tools cordless screwdriver, click here.View Prices on Amazon
Specifications of the MAC Tools 4V Cordless Screwdriver
- Model: MAC Tools SBD4V
- Power Source: Rechargeable 4V lithium-ion battery
- Idle speed: 300 rpm
- Weight: 9 ounces.
- Degree of protection IP56
- Length: 6.75 inches.
- quick-change collet
- 48 sorted bits
- 5 LED work lights
- USB-C charging port
- Bits Included: Phillips, Pozidriv, Slotted, Security Torx, Torx, Security Hex, Ball End Hex, Square Drive, Male Bit Extender, Female Bit Coupler
- 3 year guarantee
- Price: $209.99
Don’t forget to check out some of our other MAC tool reviews!